There’s this pair of flats I’ve had for a while now,still looking very nice but kind of old. Contemplated on doing away with it but then it struck me that I could actually just give it a new look, maybe ‘glam’ it up a bit, so I decided to add some fabric stones and straps. Here, below is how I went about adding the ‘glam look’.
For the fabric stone
- I washed the shoes first because they were made of fabric, then allowed to dry.
- After that, I applied ‘Uhu all purpose adhesive’ on the fabric stones, then glued them on the shoes, one after the other.
- That was all, but it sure requires patience. I used a needle to scratch off excess glue from the shoes after placing all the stones on them.
Adding the straps
- A piece of cloth (leather is preferable but I used a piece of cloth because the shoe is made of fabric)
- A pair of scissors
- Needle and thread
- A pair of shoe lace (or any strap of choice)
- I cut the piece of cloth into ten small pieces
- Folded each piece into two and sew the edges together with needle and thread to make loops (don’t mind that I used blue thread 😉)
- After that, I did sew five of the loops to each shoe: a piece was sewn to the top line (I.e the edge of the part covering the toes), four pieces were sewn to the sides ( two each on the left and right side of each shoe)
- I inserted the shoe laces into both loops in a zigzag manner, then tied it above the ankle
- You sure can use longer shoe laces or strap to achieve a lengthier look, you know, that ‘gladiator kind of look’
And that was how I came up with a new look for my shoes. You can try this out with either old or new shoes. I hope you find this article helpful. Do have a great time and keep looking beautiful!