“Braids really do look good on you and on everyone I’ve seen wearing it anyway”. That’s exactly what a very good friend of mine said to me a while back while I was wondering which hairstyle to make after removing the weave I had on.
Was still thinking about what kind of braid to make when I got to know that ‘box braid’ is the in-style presently. Wondered what box braid is and found out that it’s only called box braid because of the shape of the partings of the hair which is usually ‘box or square shaped’ even though we all know parting variations exist. It’s also called individual braids and it’s the same braids black women of all ages have been rocking for years, the same braids I see on people everyday.
It’s been a while I rocked braids though so I decided to go for it, after all, it’s still a very favourite hairstyle of mine and for so many reasons at that.
1. It’s of low maintenance. I can always just spray my scalp with an hairspray or just apply hair cream to it and am done doing anything to it for the rest of the day.
2. Styling possibilities for braids are endless.
3. They really do last. I do carry my braids for at least 2 months. 10 weeks max though.
4. They can be worn anytime, anywhere.
5.Lastly, this is one hairstyle I’ve never doubted how good it looks on me, cause it actually does!
Still thinking on what kind of braids to do? Check these ones out.
1. You can try either the classy bob braids or the long braids.
2. You can either use extensions or your natural hair although this kind of style is usually achieved with synthetic hair addition.
3. You can go for the big voluminous boxes or the small tiny ones.
4. You can play with colours, just any color that fits your personality. Violet and blue are popular extension colours although I’ve seen people rocking the colour white lately.
5. You can go for the ‘braids at the roots and unbraided ends’ look if you don’t want the full braided look.
Now that you’ve made a choice as to what kind of braid to do, remember not to:
1. Wear braids that are too tight at the scalp so you don’t develop braid related alopecia.
2. Neglect your hair and scalp just because the hair is hidden. Do ensure proper washing and conditioning of your braids.
3. Leave braid extensions for over 3 months just because it’s very convenient.
Braids are beautiful. You are beautiful. Keep looking beautiful!