This past week, I listened to the speech of a woman, N.K. Jemisin, who made history for being the first author to win the prestigious Hugo award for best novel 3 years consecutively. Just like she said in her speech, “This is a year in which records have been set”.
N.K. Jemisin, an American Science Fiction & Fantasy writer and also a Psychologist, won the award 3rd year in a row for her work, “Broken Earth” trilogy. She became the first Black writer to ever win the Hugo award with her novel, “The Fifth Season”, which is the first book in the “Broken Earth” trilogy winning the best novel award in 2016. “The Obelisk Gate” and “The Stone Sky”, which are the first and second book in the “Broken Earth” trilogy (i.e. the sequel to “The Fifth Season”) also went ahead to win the Hugo award for best novel in 2017 & 2018 respectively.
There are so many things that stood out for me in her speech, Yes, it really is one powerful speech so I will leave you with some of the beautiful quotes I got from the speech. I hope you will love them as much as I do and I hope they will be enough to give you the motivation you need to get through the rest of the week, the month or possibly the year.
“The Stars are Ours”.
- “Life means celebrating every victory, no matter how small”.
- “Acknowledging the problem is the first step toward fixing it”.
- “I have written a Million Words of Crap and probably a Million More of Meh”. (I translate this as: You will encounter lots of hardship and failure on the road to success, but with hard work and perseverance, success is sure to be yours.)
- ….”And yes, there will be naysayers….But this is the year in which I get to smile at all of those naysayers..”
And lastly, my favourite:
- “Let 2018 be the year that the stars came closer for all of us. The stars are ours”.